Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Where have we gone

A post on the NZ120 list got me going tonight ( well, and a few home brews as well).
The question is always asked 'where can I get kits?'. Nothing much has changed in the last 20 years. Back then everything was hand made, with a hand full of bits made by a few modelers who could. Fast forward 20 years, and it seems to be the same. I've just been scanning an index of NZMRJ articles from 1985-2003, and there's a proliferation of articles and layouts on NZ120 in the late 80's to the late 90's, then it tails off. Where have we all gone (well, I know where I went, where was everyone else?). The question then becomes why isn't there more work done in the scale, given that there are articles on building a variety of wagons and locos. The availability of suitable N scale mechanisms has never been better. So where is everyone? And just whats on your workbench this week?

No comments: