Monday, May 05, 2008

Modeling NZ120 one decade at a time

Well, tonights mind expanding post is: how do you plan a layout from go to whoa.
This bit will be the go section I guess. Whatever has inspired you to create a layout, how do you keep the project on track? I've found the best starting point is to research the locomotives and trains that fit this particular prototype in the period that you are interested in. Use a broad brush in case not everything goes according to plan and you change your mind. Are there kits available. what sort of skills are you going to need to develop to provide the rolling stock? And probably most importantly, is there already a local group that you can fit into to pick these skills up.

I guess the best method is to work from my own experience. Modeling as part of a large group with a particular location (Otago), I gained experience making models of main line diesels and freight trains (mostly with container trains). however I was captivated by pictures in the book 'the midland line' and in particular those around Cass. I then started working on models of trains that worked through this location in the late 80's, which lead to Dc loco's and rakes of Cb's and Lc's. This involved the learning of how to cast resin in silicon rubber moulds to save a lot of work. An important part of this process is making sure that everything runs well, which is often forgotten in the whole scratch building process. I would always choose running properties over scale fidelity. So in my case the Lc's were mounted on peco chassis ( reasonably cheap and with really large flanges), and the Cb;s on MDC bogies with microtrains wheels. Rapido couplers were used for the wagon rakes with microtrains couplers on the ends. the Dc's were built on atlas SD7 mechanisms. The resin cast tops went through several iterations ( the last of which sold reasonably well) but all did the job. So when I moved to Wellington in 1993, I had the beginnings of the collection of rolling stock for my next layout.
(sorry no pics tonight).

No comments: