Saturday, October 04, 2008

Da Da Da Dum (A3 layout pt4)

Well, having spouted all these grand ideas, I decided this afternoon to actually do something about them. I had a piece of extruded polystyrene ever since I liberated it from a local building site 6 months ago which, being 2 inches thick, was just perfect for the job. I decided to do something simple to start with, 2 'long' modules (2 A4 longways), and a 15" radius curved module. I just wanted to do a simple embankment with a bridge in the center. I still have to make some endplates (and possibly adjust my original thinking on the bolt spacing) but its a good demonstration of what is possible, and that you should not restrict yourself to just one A3 module if you want more length to fit in a station or some other scenic feature.



Any thoughts chaps (and chapesses)?

4 comments:

ECMT said...

Nice start ! So are you proposing both A3 & A4 width mods ? Are you going to box in the sides with ply etc ?

Anonymous said...

Hope you're not getting glue on the carpet. Love Mum.

RAB said...

I am going to box the sides in. It was a test to see if the whole thing would fly, and also what sort of end plate would be needed to do something difficult like this. I'm quite happy with it.
(And yes mum, I put paper down and theres no glue on the carpet.. Geesh)

Anonymous said...

Just looking at those modules (and thinking K. Gorge), that could almost suit the bridge between the Waikino Battery and the present Waikino station on the Goldfields railway were it crosses the river heading to Waihi, then the main highway. Let me dig out a photo from the Railfan....