Monday, November 10, 2008

Modular designs

I've been having a bit of a crisis lately about my plan for small sized modules. It basically boils down to whether I'm selling out or not. When we signed up for the scale 20 years ago it was billed as trains in the landscape. My ideas are starting to make it look like an S scale layout, only smaller. There's a whole stack of competing things here. On the one hand its really great to be able to run trains across a large layout with the terrain stretching to the horizon. Reality tells us however that the space we get will be down to fiscal and domestic constraints. Skills also play a large part. I'm lucky if I can pick up a knife nowadays without the threat of amputation, and I lamented at the monthly support group last week that I've lost the skill to actually cut a straight line. I can paint eyebrows on a gnat, but I can't make a square model any more (some would say I've never been able to). Its also like that with being able to get a module that's square. My wood working is just not up to it, and so hopefully laser cutting and CAD will be able to solve that. By making the files available I hope others will have a crack at a small model, that they can either build into a layout or just have to bring to a meet to be part of a bigger set up. I stumbled across this tonight, http://www.westportterminal.de/meetings/alsfeld.html. Its where I'd like to see this idea go. A large exhibition layout that has a mix of modules, main lines and branch lines, yards, loco depots and industries. A real railway, not just a round and round or back and forward.
(This post has been brought to you by a fair bit of my raspberry wheat beer. Its another one of my good ideas that needs more work, but still does the job until something better comes along.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think its selling out at all. In the States, N scale has always been about "Layout in small spaces" (i.e complete ovals in 4' by 2'), and it has only really been in the last few years with the rise to prominence of people like Lance Mindheim(?) and the Reid Brothers that it has moved to "More Railway in the space you have". In NZ we've always been able to see both sides, so it is really a case of Horses for Courses and what your own personal circumstances are.

excup(n)- The underwire from a bra found jamming a washing machine.

MaverickNZ said...

Hi guys.

Ive been watching this blog for a bit now, finally decided to get involved. I do like the idea of these smaller layouts but im not sure if I want to do this or the older 600mm deep module. I would love to build something in one of them so it could be joined together with others at a gathering/exibition or something.

Cheers

Ryan Gibbs