Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ghost railways

Living in Nelson does have its drawbacks. The main problem according to a world renown train photographer, is that there is no railway. He does have a point I'll admit. There are the railway preservation people out at founders, but I normally go there to visit the brewery. However from my house (well, the landlords house) I can see the old railway formation as it climbed out of Nelson over the Bishopdale hill. Why they didn't go out round the port is beyond me, but I guess someone with money and land up this way was involved. Skip back to the present and its a cycle track, and a very nice ride out from town in the evening. And it would have been something to watch small tank locos climb the hill with a full load.


It could make a good model as well.

No comments: