Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hmmmm

My plan to build an ed may have just hit a bit of a snag. seems that Bachmann in their infinite wisdom have only put gears on 2 of the 4 axles, which will have dire consequences for the tractive effort once the rods come off. I'm now wishing I had brought a couple of Kato 2-8-2 chassis when the exchange rate was higher (I almost did, but then thought I could do it later when I had more money). The GG1 kato bogies will cost me $100 for 2 locos without motors, but will be powered on 3 axles! I'm not sure I can remove the rods to see what the tractive effort would be like without completely stuffing it up either should the experiment prove a bust.

UPDATE; answers to questions.
1) Gutless, can't haul itself on the flat.
2) Amazingly its back together and still goes.

Will have to go back to plan A (or maybe this was C and we're back to plan B. I forget now)

No comments: