Saturday, April 25, 2009

Disaster!

Bit of an accident last night here at Chateau Dandruff. I decided to paint a layer of gloss varnish over the decals before subjecting everything to the final weathering wash. I come back 30 minutes later to find....

The varnish had attacked the ink used to make the decals in the first place. It was worse on the corners, but there were also some patches in the middle of the stripes as well. As an added bonus the black diving lines had leached out in places. After a bit of a think, and a few beers last night, I accepted the fact that I could only fix the most obvious ones, and that my chances of sweeping the trophy's at the convention next year had gone from being marginally more than nil (by a few decimal points), to less than my being elected the next pope. Fortunately The colour I was using for the roof (Humbrol metalic 56 Aluminium) was a very close match to the silver on the stripes. To get the black interior lines back in, I first painted the worst areas flat black.

I then painted the stripes back in to get back to this, which is good enough from 2 feet I think.

I'll just comment here that I do all my painting (lines etc) freehand, but thats only because I've had 30 odd years of practice and I can paint reasonably straight lines. I'd love to know what other options were available for things like this as eventually my eyesite is going to give out and I'll have to start modeling in G scale or something with all the other oldies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent recovery !

What size brush (ans strength glasses) do you use?

RAB said...

No idea on the brush number, but I've heard that anything below a OO is a waste of time as it doesn't hold the paint. For brushes I'm actually very keen on the Tamiya range as they seem to hold their shape much better than others and seem to be widely available.
Otherwise I'm blessed with good eyesite (the only one in the family) and a steady hand.

ECMT said...

Very lucky with that crafty bit of recovery, no spare decal sets floating around at the moment either. Any recommendations for future varnishing options ?

Motorised Dandruff said...

Maybe not trying it to begin with?
Spray varnish might work, or it might be worse.