Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How to do colour pt 1

Well, we have certainly had a lot about correct colours in the last week. theres also been a huge discussion on the nz_railchat yahoo group. And so tonight you all get to suffer my opinion, and then a bit of practical application.

I think I approach painting colours on models differently to possibly everyone else, mainly because I spent a good 10 years painting a variety of wargaming figures, both historical and fantasy. This requires a completely different set of techniques and an appreciation of light and shadow. Shades are built up with several coats (as it was in real life). We also have to take into account that there is a scale effect that at its simplest states that to appear correct on a scale model a colour should be a bit lighter than the correct shade to appear correct to the mk 1 eyeball. This is a good time to be discussing this as I have just undercoated the Railcar top tonight with a spray on etching primer. Now its going to be whatever red was the right one (midland, carnation etc), which means looking at old photo's to see just what is the correct looking shade. The good news is that there does not appear to be an exact correct shade. I've been looking at colour photo's of 1960's expresses and due to aging and the fact the steam engines are dirty beasts, no two are exactly the same, and the cleanest red appears to be (to my eye) very close to Humbrol gloss 19 signal red ( Its ok, I've just put on the tin helmet and am hunkering down behind a large rock to await the incoming fire from the finescale police). Then we get to the cunning bit.

If we have a look at 1431 and 1410, they are both painted in signal red as the base colour. I have then used a wash to bring out the recessed detail. This consists on a Tamiya acrylic colour X19 smoke, which is a transparent colour. as its a bit strong I dilute it 1:1 with water, and a small drop of detergent. when painted on this flows into the cracks and low spots and creates shadows where the eye expects them to be. To get a more workworn look just use 3-4 coats, and concentrate around the vents and exhausts. This is a very basic description of how it works, and I'll hopefully be able to describe it more fully as I paint the railcar. As a final shot tonight, heres the 2 ends in their primer waiting for the first coat of red.

No comments: