Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lighting effects

Following on this months main theme on colours etc, heres something I discovered by accident tonight. As part of a binge to save the planet by burning less hydro power we here at Chateau Dandruff have started replacing the old filament bulbs with the new mercury filled Eco friendly replacements. Having brought 2 packets of 5 I assumed that they were the same. The answer is of course not, there seem to be at least 2 sorts, warm glow and white daylight (or near offers as I can't be arsed looking for the packets out in the garage at the moment). so as an experiment here is the same model photographed under the same conditions under the 2 different lights.

"white daylight"

"warm glow"

The camera doesn't quite show the difference as well (though I think you can if you try really hard), but in real life I prefer the warm glow as it gives a nice near sunset effect and the colours 'feel' like the ones we see in the old colour photo's. Now while I know this is incorrect, having not actually been there for the steam era (apart from right at the end) this is how I visualize it, and I think it would work on a layout far better than the harsh bleached whiteness of the other bulb.

1 comment:

Amateur Fettler said...

I notice the "Warm Glow" makes shelves disappear as well???

You could use the Daylight bulbs to do a "wet" scene...Would work nicely with a snow scene, or a wet winters day.