Saturday, May 23, 2009

Finding a Flat – Trackside UR

DB Says: Although I’ve not been overly kind to some of the Trackside kits on these pages, one of my favourite NZ120 wagons is this UR (or US or UN or whatever it is) from them. Imagine my surprise when I found another one hiding amongst my dusty boxes of CB parts today. “I knew I ordered two…”

Bobby, meet your new brother...

Castings are up to the usual high standard and a good smattering of detail parts are provided. After dremeling out the bolsters and coupler box as I did with the CF from the other day, I assembled it pretty much per the unsupplied instructions using contact and/or superglue. Plastic stanchions were again used instead of the supplied metal ones and lead weight was added underfloor to help with tracking - this is one metal kit that’s actually a bit light .

This time I eschewed my normal Microtrains bogies for a pair of those Rapido couplered Kato bogies so I can run the new UR amongst my 4w Peco chassis wagons. I don't mind those couplers on the 4 wheelers - I'm not into shunting in NZ120 and when a train goes by, you don't notice them. Oh and they're effectively free.

Other than my standard aversion to the trackside bogies and couplers, this kit builds up quickly into a nice model of a nice prototype.

No comments: