Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Layoutitis

Its been noticed in the Waihaorunga workshops that there is a severe lack of a test track to check that the flood of models emanating from its benches actually run well (or at all). The current testing zone allows for a quick run up and back on poorly laid track round a 12" radius curve, which the more prototypically correct models do not like at all.


I've come up with a cunning plan (well, I think its cunning at least) to build a test layout from 2' sections to see if the mini module system will work in real life. By some simple cutting and rearranging using some maths from 30 odd years ago I've come up with a way to make a round layout without too much pain (I'll report on the number of fingers I have after this exercise).



As part of this whole design thingy, I'll like to throw open to the peanut galley a chance to come up with a track plan for the layout. Stipulations are;
-Minimum 20" radius (thanks for the spellcheck Luke).
-As its a modular layout. the track crossing between boards should be on the centerline of each module. However, 2-3 modules may be combined for a scene or station.
-Not too many points as I'm going to attempt hand laying track in code 55.
-If possible a simple sketch of what you think it might look like.
-Submission date 31st of May



So, gentlemen (and gentlewomen), start your crayons. I'm not promissing to build the best, but I would like to see your ideas.

UPDATE: I seem to have neglected the size information. The initial board is 2' by 1', which means that each of the baby modules is about 2' long (give or take a wee bit) The first design was very nice, but would have been a bit tight in places.

6 comments:

Luke Ueda-Sarson said...

20 *foot* radius?

20 inches? 2 foot?

Andrew Hamblyn said...

I like it!

There is a talented cabnet maker in my social circle...
Was entertaining the idea of gleening your plans and taking them to him in a costing excersise to see if we cant get a bunch of identical modules made for sale to all the needy modellers at a reasonable price???

What say you??

Drew

Motorised Dandruff said...

As a basic plan its brilliant. I was hoping to get something done locally, but have not succeeded.
As always the devil is in the details, and theres a few things to sort like how to join the modules together, electrical connections, basic track standards etc. None of these are insurmountable and I have pointed out that a 6' by 1' layout could be transported in a 1' by 2' by 2' box, which is fine to take as luggage on a plane.

Amateur Fettler said...

"The Carry On Layout" (shades of Kenneth Williams). Great idea, lets see what Drew can make of his contacts.

Andrew Hamblyn said...

I have a confession...

There was a bloke at the recent Wanganui model train expo that was pushing this small cube system for n gauge trains. Small cubes about 200 x 200 or 300 x 300, and he had four of these little cubes joined together on a small table....
Will see if I took any pictures.

Dont give up, I am still nutting out some ideas.

I have this inate ability to cut many different angles in wood and planks with ease, except for the important ones. ( 90... 45...)
With this basic missing, I was planing on buying pre cut MDF panels from Mitre 10 and framing them up with 1x2 pine.... real easy and no accurate cutting required to get the edges to face up.

Plans soon...

Drew
(still yet to talk to cabnet maker)

Motorised Dandruff said...

I think that the cubes are a bit small. I'll probably get accused of stealing his Idea now.