Thursday, June 04, 2009

When Less is More

AmFet Says: After the histrionics involved with snapping 7241 (as detailed previously), I realised that since making the change to Nz120 I was burning off significantly less electrons when recording a locomotive "on film" than I did when I was thinking in the larger scales. Point in case: DC4110 at Wellington, 57 shots. DFB7241, just 10!

I think the difference is that when photographing for the larger scales, I would be taking photos of every single patch of rust, thus allowing it to be recreated on the model. I think the goal was to create realism of the whole by concentrating on each small detail, almost at a molecular level. Now I'm thinking in Nz120, and the more important thing now (as I see it) is to achieve realism by not treating it as a "jigsaw" of realistic pieces, but blending everything together to create a realistic "look". Also, I dont take as many detail shots as I did. Whats the point of recording the double-dopplemeyer snufting valve with overhead double cam lifters if its only going to measure 0.02mm on the finished model?

Anyway, this is what I do, and in the right circumstances you can be in and out in 5 minutes (much like the SAS):

- Quarter shots from each direction. Much more useful than straight side or front on pictures, and if your Megapixels are set high enough you can zoom into any feature later.

- Numbers from straight on, in case I want to do decals of them later.

- Numberboards front and back, for a similar reason

- Front headstock, because this is what "leads" the locomotive and its nice to be able to refer back to it if need be.

- Finally, anything else that catchs my eye. For 7241 it was the "scuffs" on the TranzRail Decal on the left side, which may be possible to do on a model.

In all, it took me longer to walk out to the locomotive than it took me to photograph it. And another bonus to this is it keeps you in the good books of the running staff if you were a guest at a depot, as these guys are busy and you dont want to hold them up for too long.

POSTSCRIPT:

At the urging of Kiwibonds, I have added this pic for the sake of completeness. This is actually the top of 7335 at Westfield, but if you can get to a SAFE POSITION to photograph the top of your subject, take the chance offered. As it is the area you see the most of, it will be invaluable (Thanks to Skippy for the pic).

I think I will do a future post of loco roofs, just to show you it isnt all grey paint and exhaust smudges!

No comments: