Saturday, June 20, 2009

Of Ed's again

I have not done much on this project for a while, but this week I had a crack at the underframes. The sideframes were cut to shape from 1mm plasticard, and glued to the 0.5mm thick footplate (I've neglected to add cutouts in the frame, I'll probably just paint these on in black later as it will be easier than cutting the holes, and I'm not sure i can get them all square). The footplate is supposed to be an I beam shape but this just seemed to be too much trouble for something I would hardly notice. After the headstocks were glued on as well, a hole was cut for the mech to fit in. So filing of the metal chassis was required for everything to fit between the sideframes. I then added some plasticard shapes to the ends so that the footplate would sit at the right height.


Its looking good so far. Next step is to add the journals and bearings on the outside (the real thing has an asymmetric wheelbase but I'm going to do mine with the bearings at the same wheelbase as the wheels otherwise its going to look funny), and add the sandboxes. Theres not much else to them.

5 comments:

Electronic Kiwi said...

I'll send you some

Amateur Fettler said...

2 thoughts:

- Painting on the holes; The DAR will get that treatment in the front refuges, it would be way to gnarly to hack the steps in...much easier with the black sharpie!
- Assymetric axleboxes; if someone picks that up when seeing it operating on a layout, they really need to get out more...

Andrew Hamblyn said...

How come there is always the gaggle of brightly hued wiring in every workbench photo?

Perhaps you could build a small display board, akin to the one I found on a popular blog recently made from a real estate sign??....

:)

The ED looks like its off to a great start.

Drew

Motorised Dandruff said...

Maybe I like coloured wiring?
(and don't steal real estate signs)

lalover said...

Pot of gold at the end of the project...?