Wednesday, December 09, 2009

In another scale

I've been having a discussion with a recent convert to the scale over the last week or so. He's commented that he's enthusiastic again about modeling, which is a reoccurring theme that I've got from several others as well. Its set me into thinking mode (a dangerous state. theres nothing so dangerous on the planet as a bored scientist). I wonder how many other modelers would benefit from a change in scale (and not just into nz120 but to any other scale). The big problem would be the almost ingrained mindset ie "I've always modeled in this scale, that scale is too big/small to see, I've got to much stuff to change' etc.
For myself, I could see myself making a decent fist of 9mm (I have in the past, and somewhere have the convention certificates to prove it), but I think in S scale I would be a very average modeler. So in the end I'm quite happy where I am. I think the other thing is currently in our little corner there's still not right way and wrong way to do things, there's just better ways. we seem to have accidentally found ourselves at the forefront of laser cutting plastic to make wagons and loco tops. Yet this high tech approach also fits with paper and card modeling. The most important thing i think for our scale is that it sits square, and looks right from 2'. I hate looking at my mods close up, which is why the photo's on this blog alwys come as a large shock

I think it sort of hit home tonight when I received some more lost wax brass castings back for a new master. again, they are by no means perfect, but they are mine. That is not something you tend to get in S scale where you can buy almost any detailing part you might want.


I then had to fit them to a wagon to see how they looked.


The new coupler is on the left, the drop in Trackgang replacement coupler is on the right. There's still a wee bit of work to do with these to get them right, but they do look the part in my eye's.
In S scale, you would just go out and buy some.

4 comments:

sxytrain said...

Working in different scales can be motivating for a modeller like myself. Having spent the last 30 years in S scale, doing nz120 this year has been 'fun' to say the least.
Castings look good. How do the wagons handle fixed couplers when going around curves?

Kevin Prince said...

Definitely worth ringing the changes - I've been doing some 1/35 armour modelling recently and the joy is back. I even got out that airbrush I bought years ago to see if I liked it and I suspect that would not have happened in my usual EM gauge or S etched brass burnt fingers world. It's also refreshing that when I finish this Panzer 111 I don't need to build 10 more to =make a train.

I'll be back to railways when the house rebuild is over but meantimes I'm having fun.

RAB said...

Not having any track down its a bit hard to say, but just pushing them round the deck it seems to be OK. with short 4 wheeled wagons the offset isn't too bad.

Kevin, I think that military modelers could teach us a thing or 3 about painting and colours.

lalover said...

Yes a change is as good as a rest!
I enjoy dabbling in HO9 as well a military modelling, which is great for relaxation!