Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Laying it out

There are some huge differences between hand laying track and using the store brought items. In the old days one would just grab some points and flex track and just stick it down willy-nilly so that it looked like the plan you had sketched on the back of the fish and chip wrappers the night before.

With hand laying track its all different and there's something called planning which one must do. This involves firstly laying out the center lines of the track. with such a complex track layout I went with the easiest point to do which is the join between the 2 boards with the station building on it. I marked out the center line, then the station platform. The first line is marked out based on the loading gauge (checked with a Da) and the outside ones based on what I had premeasured in an old post.

OK, so I am cheating to use flexitrack to see if the curves are OK. I'm still trying to work out how to draw the curved bits in, but apparently it involves a tramel (which is not an East German car), and my first attempt to build one last night was a bit of a dud.

One thing that is becoming apparent very slowly is that I might not be able to fit in all the trackage that I want. Maybe if I had drawn an accurate plan in the first place.....

7 comments:

Andrew Hamblyn said...

Always keen to learn more about the english language I set off on a great quest to uncover just exactly what a "tramal" was.

I guessed it had something to do with geometry, and some far distant memory, lurking somewhere in the dark depths of my grey matter was banging on the walls to be let out......

But no, I put faith in the all-knowing search engine Giggle and kept drawing blanks.

A quick visit to a clever dictionary website offered other variations on the spelling of the word "tramel" that I sought and offered "trammel" as a suitable replacement.

The first definition listed:
"a hindrance or impediment to free action"
and while probably close to the mark, I am sure that is not what was intended....

The last entry tabled suggested:
"a fetter or shackle, esp. one used in training a horse to amble"
which ammused me no end, but again I doube it had much relevance so I conceeded that the second entry was the most logical for track planning:

"an instrument for drawing ellipses"

Never one to squander precious time on trivial sundries such as planning nor really been gifted with any form of accuracy, all prior layouts I have built were designed in-situ tracing outlines around a couple of pairs of points and some flex track....

:)

Drew

Kiwibonds said...

Isn't Trammeling when you ride on a tram?

woodsworks said...

I would recommend the use of a wooden spline, basically a long, uniform thin stick, for laying out nice curves. It will automatically produce easements when joining tangents. Easiest way is to start at one end, laying weights on the stick to hold it firmly in place as you work your way along, gradually pushing the spline around in the direction you want to go. Then you eyeball it for 'fairness' (shipbuilding term for an even curve with no kinks or bumps) and tweak as required until satisfied. If one desires a smooth curve passing through three chosen points, say, a reverse S-bend, start with the middle point and work outwards to each end.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Thanks Woody, I hadn't thought of that.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Thanks Woody, I hadn't thought of that.

Anonymous said...

I have used one of these with success in planning curves for flex track.

http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WSL-B2C-Site/en_NZ/-/NZD/ViewOfferDetail-Product?CatalogCategoryID=AyMKBTHB.iwAAAEdI.4MoH0z&ProductUUID=ZwoKBTHB2J8AAAEd_VIc6AuK&JumpTo=OfferList

Although these are only 400mm long, I have seen them as long as 500mm from other suppliers.

Anonymous said...

Sorry..the link got concatenated in my last Comment (due to a wordwrap issue in the Comment box) so here it is again:

http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/WSL-B2C-Site/en_NZ/-/NZD/ViewOfferDetail-Product?CatalogCategoryID=AyMKBTHB.iwAAAEdI.4MoH0z&
ProductUUID=ZwoKBTHB2J8AAAEd_VIc6AuK&
JumpTo=OfferList