Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Gorgeous. A new layout section for DB

DB: Ornathologises:
It's springing spring here so there's just no time to be playing trains, but sometimes one needs to escape from a crazy work-riddled life (with cleaning up the garden thrown in for good measure) and take a breather to pray at the NZ120 alter. Time for me to make another module/section as I blaze a trail - slashing my way through bush, mountain and stream - to pioneer the highline around my geographically challenging trainroom. You can see the general idea for the module above, and more clearly below, with the trackbase cut out to approximate the curves that happened to be in some soldered flextrack that I salvaged from the previous layout. The curve in the distance will plug onto the left end of Moana.
As you can see, the thought is to have a bit of cliffside running to make iteasier to see the trains from below. Lastly in the pic below, we can see construction beginning on the backscene (lying flat in the picture). The backscene will go 'up' in the normal way, but will also extend 'down' below track level to provide additional rigidity.The little ribs have been stuck on to the backscene at appropriate places so that I will be able to plop these onto the trackbase and glue the thing in place without the backscene slipping down while the glue sets. That might become clearer in the next instalment. .

Pictures taken with my crappy cellphone camera. I won't be covering that in the next photography post...

1 comment:

Michael Adams said...

To keep foam in place while the glue sets I use toothpicks. Run a bead of glue along the foam, jab a couple of toothpicks halfway in, then press it into the other piece of foam. Works a treat.

--Michael