Saturday, May 01, 2010

forward planning.

To get away from trackwork, and while Woodsworks slaves away over a hot saw making my next order of PCB sleepers, I will now reveal where my planning is up to for the all important center module.

Busy isn't it....

The top is the south end, and the platform fits in the big empty space between the 2 sets of loops. That's the easy bit. The bottom becomes a real mishmash of track. going from right to left we have the main line with a very sexy crossover (Hmm, must get out a bit more). The next 2 lines run into the loco depot, then the next 2 run past the refueling area (coal and oil), and then subsequently join and run onto the turntable. The 2 after that are for the backside of the refueling area, which is where the Loco fuel tankers were shunted, plus another turntable lead. These 2 tracks also join up. The final area is the yard tracks for the Air-rail shed.

From my count there are 10 points plus the previously mentioned crossover. Now, normally at this point (haha, they don't come much older than this, I'll stop when I get onto building scenery)) I would be scratching my head wondering how I was going to fit the trackplan into the commercially available points. I would also be wondering which kidney to sell to afford it. Fortunately since I'm making my own track, these problems vanish, to be confronted by other ones like 'man, I have to make all this stuff by hand...'.

The next problem will be sorting out point motors to actuate them all, as I'm not going to be using manual control. The layout is designed to be operated from either side, so the old 'wire in the tube' method wouldn't cut it. Plus I have visions of a nice signal box style central control unit which will either work, or be a complete disaster...

(If anyone knows of an Internet location for making your own point motors, can they pass it on?)

8 comments:

steve w. said...

g'day, build them with RC servos or even better, check this link: http://users.skynet.be/pro-rail/ukcafam0.htm they use Memory Wire ...
cheers... steve w.

steve w. said...

and another one: http://www.us-modellbahnen.de/atsf//weichen.htm it's in german but the picture talk for themself... steve w.

outbackiwi said...

Point motors . Think you had better get that kidney on market .

Motorised Dandruff said...

The firstoe is good, the second gives me nasty error messages in german.

I do wonder how long the stuff actually lasts in service. still its not that expensive to replace if it craps out.

And the Memory wire people don't accept credit cards (and I'm not keen on paypal). stil, I could be worth it if the Euro continues to fall (who though we would be thanking the greeks for anything)

steve w. said...

just double checked and it is working fine here... http://www.us-modellbahnen.de/atsf//weichen.htm cheers... steve w.

ps: I have paypal, if I can help let me know by email...

Anonymous said...

pictures are on NZ120.org

cheers...
steve w.

woodsworks said...

MoDan, I can get memory wire through C+L Finescale, either just the wire, or whole kits with crimp-on connectors etc. Check out www.finescale.org for more info.

Motorised Dandruff said...

So, I suppose I should just pass all my disposable income to you then? You seem to be getting more and more of it :v)