Friday, May 21, 2010

Tracklaying part IV

Today we report a bit of success here and there. I spent the day with 'Teach' (not sure if you are allowed to choose your nicknames, but it suits him) finishing up my crossover. I had to add the throw bars to complete the workings, and that was it. This involves drilling holes in the throw bar to match the blade rails and also allow the wheels to roll pass unhindered. After a bit of a play with the NMRA track gauge it seemed that the magic dimension between the holes is 7mm (that's a conveniently round number I thought). The holes were drilled with a 0.6mm drill and then countersunk with a 1.2mm drill to allow the pins to sit in without rubbing on the trackbed. I then positioned everything and soldered away. Note to self for future;its probably best for the PCB copperclad to be facing AWAY from the soldering and it might not stick quite so badly. Still, to total throw is just over 1mm and it seems to be OK (the reasonably random measurement for the throw bar indeed was correct). I was going so well I promptly started on the 3rd point for this bit of track work. This sailed along quite well, marred only by complaints about the filing noise coming from the lady of the house (she REALLY doesn't like it, but its OK and she has been shoe shopping today :v). So, how do they measure up?


The first one looks visually OK. There is a bit of banging round at frog with the new PECO wheels though the NMRA US ones that I have seem to be quite happy with it, and pushing the locos through the points works OK.


The second just doesn't look right (too fat in the point blades I think) but again it works.

The 3rd has built on the things I have learned from the first 2. However I still can't seem to solve the problem around the frog with Peco wheels (and this is the ones that do work with the NMRA track gauge. I'm sure that there is a solution somewhere and I'll have to consult with the local maestro as to what it might be.
And Finally, here it is in rough position on the module before I start laying the rest of the track. Can anyone point out the mistake I've made?


(And its sodding hard modeling in a remote part of the country. I wanted a bit of PECO code 55 flexitrack to use at the module joins as its far tougher than the hand laid stuff. the only model shop didn't have any, so I guess its brass screws to hold it all in place, which I was going to do anyway, but with the track solidly anchored into a couple of millimetres of good Devon plastic.

3 comments:

outbackiwi said...

Yep you are going to have a bit of trouble fitting the throw mech on the right hand point been over top of the cross member

Motorised Dandruff said...

Theres no flies on you, but they will be back next summer....

outbackiwi said...

no i just made the same mistake about a week ago . Fixed it with a hole saw to make room