Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Location, location, location

Well, things are a bit slow here at Chateau Dandruff over the last week. I'm just really not in the mood at the moment to do bench type modeling, and while I keep thinking I should learn CAD, I can't seem to force myself to at the moment. However, while awaiting resupply for the ongoing track making , here's one of the few things I have done.

It came time to sort out how to join the modules together in a way that doesn't allow for future movement. There's been quite a few methods proposed over the milenia, but one I'm an old fan of is the dowel and bolt method, where wooden dowels are used to align the baseboards accurately, and then bolts are used for the actual holding together bit. this has worked well for me previously (well, mostly it has), but chance gave me a more modern update.

Having access to some surplus to requirements 9.5mm stainless pressure pipe, it gave me an idea to possibly kill 2 birds with one stone.


The outside of the pipe is the positive location, and the bolt runs through the center.

I'm still not quite convinced this will do the job well enough, so I will probably add in some 'split' door hinges for fine alignment (fix hinges between modules, knock the pins out and 'voila').

No comments: