Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The power of positive selling

I've been watching with a mixture of interest and bemusement the mounting tally of Dx sideframe sets being signed up for. With the tally currently standing at 73 sets (and weren't there only 55 of these things in country?) I can only wonder if we are going to see 73 Dx's in the next 12 months gracing layouts, or at least the forum threads on NZ120. maybe it could be the 2011 project; to build a model of a Dx.

Its also been quite positive on several other points. It shows that the scale is no longer completely full of cheapskates, and possibly more importantly, that well made RP detail bits have a market in the scale.
I'm now waiting to see whats coming next. Will we see a modern type 16/18/20 bogie? (well, to me they all look the same). At say $7-10 a pair (without wheels) cast in brass how many would be takers? Dare I even venture a 4 wheeled wagon underframe?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's exactly what we need next, a nice and crisp DX kit, RP or etched or laser I don't care as long as it has straight doors, grills and louvres and windows in an angle. I still have kits here I bought several years ago in Hamilton from the guy who originally sold them (sorry for my ignorance but I do not remember his name) but somehow I am still 'resistant' to build them because I still think it is a waste of MY time because they look all but crisp, straight or in any angle. (and I like to look at my models from close and not 12' away)

cheers...
steve w.

Amateur Fettler said...

Well, DB has the DXB sorted, Magikan is beavering away on the DFT, we are all waiting with bated breath for the Woodsworks DC....The only problem is whether DB and Magikan really want to become producers. It takes time you'd rather be spending elsewhere, as well as the distribution....and if the interest in the sideframes is any indication, You'd virtually have to go full time for a few days to laser them all...

Anonymous said...

I heartily agree with Steve's comments re a Dx !

Have we seen anything re DB's DXB on this blog? Would this be a suitable basis body wise (except for the cab) for a Dx?

Anonymous said...

I did wonder about having FM bogies/Silver star bogies made in plastic. As Im going to need at least 40 sets, which is not much, I would happly pay for the set up if it came to a k or so, just to get the right look.
I have just got 30 sets of the Kato ones which Steve found, good but just a little small.
As the dx ones are pushing 100, might we look at a 1000 or more ?

Pete

woodsworks said...

Pete, there is a bogie project about to go to manufacturing stage that will prove whether or not the RP resin is suitable for running pinpoint axle-ends in, and if it works then there is no reason why we could not make Silver Star/ FM bogies in RP resin very economically, around the $18-20 per pair mark. I am talking about a different resin to what the Dx sideframes have been made in, btw; the type I use has strength properties similar to styrene, although it cannot be glued with solvent cements. My supplier advises that it should be hard enough to cope with a pinpoint axle, which removes the need to recast in brass.