Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Son of "DFT in a Day"

I came to the conclusion some time ago that while a lot of experimenting was happening not a lot of model building on my part was in evidence.

Time to change that, but what to build.

After looking through some of the previous blog posts I came across Kiwibond's DFT in a Day series.
Now that caught my interest, but none existed in "Kiwirail 2" paint, until 7160 appeared a couple of weeks ago.

So a DFT it was to be, but of course having relatively easy access to a laser I couldn't resist changing things slightly from the DFT in a Day concept.
It is still a one off scratch build, but using laser cut parts for the main components of the model.

Main component sub assemblies.

I'm also trying something different with the cab. The idea is to laser cut the pieces from clear styrene, with raster cuts for the windows. This allows you to peel off the masking tape applied during cutting but leave it in place over the windows.
Paint the cab, peel off the remaining masking tape and you have clear flush windows, hopefully.

DFT body slowly coming together.
More to follow later...

4 comments:

sxytrain said...

Where do you source the dynamic grill from?

Magikan said...

The grill is a cut down HO scale Athearn SD70I dynamic fan grill.
The more I look at it the less I like it, it's a bit coarse and should have more than twice the number of "rings" in it.
I notice BLMA do an etched N scale 60 inch dynamic grill (part of a set though), this works at at just under a millimeter smaller than what I've done but I suspect it will look a lot better.

steve w. said...

JnJ Trains sells a similar item and it is available on its own w/o buying all the other fans as well. check this link: http://users.dwx.com/~jnjtrains/Aready/0552.jpg a lot more parts available here: http://www.jnjtrains.com

cheers...
steve w.

Anonymous said...

Looks great even with the oversize grill!

I can hear the chorus already - "how much and when?"

What chassis will it use?