Friday, June 18, 2010

Tracklaying IX; the end

It became time to face one of the areas that previous layouts built by this scribe have been less than perfect. Indeed the language after one particular show was such that a catholic schoolgirl would have blushed. I refer of course to the track joins between baseboards. I decided a while ago that I would lay the rails right up to the edges, rather than bugger around with 'joiner' pieces of track. They never look quite right, always seem to be the wrong size, and in the box you forgot at home.

Previously I had used PCB board screwed to the end of the layout with the rail soldered on top, but this no longer seemed to be robust enough. what was needed was something that could withstand the clumsiest of layout assemblers (ie me).

I started of by drilling pilot holes, into which I inserted brass 1" flathead screws. I then found some brass that was 1mm but 2 mm, cut to length (18mm) and soldered it to the screws.


The rail was then cut to length and soldered into position, checking all the time that the gauge was correct.


the only step left is to Araldite the sleepers into position relative to the surrounding wood, and finally cut the sleepers in 1/2 with the trusty fret saw (how did I survive so long without one of these things?).

The result should stand the tests of time, and indeed my incompetence.

2 comments:

outbackiwi said...

one suggestion seal that ply/timber as it will move . I know i have been there done that and i now seal all the base boards and the bonus is working under the base boards is easy to see as i have panted them white and any reference marks/notes etc show up on the white paint

Motorised Dandruff said...

Cheers for that, I had not really thought about it.