Monday, July 12, 2010

The cutoff disk goes round and round...

Finally after a couple of aborted attempts I've got the various shafting sorted for the Ew. This involved a trip to another modeler as I was not going to risk the Spanish buzz saw anywhere near a cutting disk after its previous exploits (maybe I could start using it as a hammer?). I had pre-sealed the motor casing with selotape to stop it collection anything on the magnets. The shafting was set up in a vice to hold it steady. I then set the Dremel TM on a high speed screech. 'Right, before cutting, make sure that I'm not directly in line with the cut. starting to cut, sparks flying, Hmmmm ear is getting pinged by hot burning bits, maybe I'll shift over a little more'. Man does cutting steel generate some heat. I also discovered that you can use the cutoff disks as a sort-of file to remove small bits off the ends.
And the final result?


A small step further on in the process.
Unfortunately I managed to snap one of the male joints on my universals so I'll have to buy another packet of them, keeping Mr Knight in coffee for another day...

2 comments:

manaia said...

Will the topic of HO be bort up again, do you follow railchat and have you looked into OZ as its all here?

Am_Fet said...

The main protagonist on that little escapade is still on holiday in the Sth Island, so little more has been done....much to the relief of his peers...