Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Half baked thoughts

Well, its now out that I'm one of the 3 Judges for the layout in/on a boxfile. I guess its punishment for helping Wee Duggie set it up.

I suppose I get to put down some thoughts about what I'd like to see in peoples entries.

For those entering a plan, a clear track plan with (where possible) prototype photos to illustrate design points. Some sketches of scene details and a discussion of operational potential. This sort of submission will probably attract a few more 'out-there' layouts as it will be easier to design a layout than build it. However, pushing the envelope may reslt in amks being removed for 'not being in the spirit of the challenge'. Its hard to quanitify, but if you start cutting boxes up into odd shapes this may be marked down.

For those who are going to take it a step further and have a crack at building a small operating layout (and I do hope this is where the majority of entrants attempt to get to) the aims will be a bit different. I suppose I could bang on about excellence in modeling and fidelity to prototype etc, but what I would really like to see is people having a go and creating a believable scene. My personal aim is to try some new modeling techniques and have a go at some detail modeling in a small space. I might even have a go at laying some code 40 track, even if it instantly disqualifies me. I am also going to attempt to complete one of my steam locos that I have started.

I have also decided that I am going to chronicle my layout building endeavors. I'd encourage others to do the same, unless you feel that your efforts are too top secret to share. It will help othere to remain interested and focused.

As a final note, don't feel as thouh you have to use 4 box files. A small well executed layout that is achievable in 5 months is better than a larger layout that you may struggle to complete.

3 comments:

CaptainCarbon said...

Are you implying that sub code 55 rail is not all that acceptable? I have a loose concept that may benefit visually from low code (the lower the better) track work.

steve w. said...

PECO code 55 track is suggested ! it's not a must, use what ever you like...

steve w.

'misre' (1990) with James Caan and Kathy Bates...

Motorised Dandruff said...

Hmmm, ad not noticed hat.
I would sugegst that if you do intend to be able to join to other peoples modules that you use code 55 on the main lines at least. If you choose to build a stand along its fine.

FWIW Peoco wheels won't run on NMRA track anyway...

'Flegat' scottish swear word.