Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thinking inside the Box 1: Cross Creek

Am Fet scribbles:

Right, I've been playing with a few ideas over the past wee while that would be eligible for this here Nz120 layout comp thingie. As I've previously mentioned, I'm keen to try and think "Outside the square" a bit...obviously youre never going to be able to model a sprawling landscape running Ka hauled express's around in a boxfile, and I would like to think that there would be the opportunity for a wee bit of operation away from the exhibition circuit.

This is an idea that has always been in the back of my mind, although admittedly not in Nz120 (the original was planned for P34/9mm). To my mind, the Rimutaka Incline has a lot more "play value" per mile (only 3 miles at that) than any other stretch of track....and those Chunky H's look so cool! Dont think I can fit Cross creek, Summit or even Siberia into a boxfile though, so its really a case of finding a "nugget" of action somewhere and seeing if that will fit.

And here it is: Cross Creek locomotive depot.



The joys here are in the locomotive movements of the H's from shed to water tower to yard with the occasional Ab/A visitor for variety. Plus the railcar sheds in the background may receive the odd visitor (Wairarapa cars...decidedly odd!). Add on to that the need for the ultra cute wee Fell vans needing to be put over the pit after every run to change out the brake shoes, and you can spend quite a pleasant evenings play here....especially if you cant get that lovely waggling Stevensons gear to work!

Here is how I'd get it to fit:



The dodge here is using the boards in Portrait rather than Landscape to get depth across the depot. The angle of the main shed wont matter, and will in fact add to the look of the thing (arent we always told to put tracks non-parrallel to edges??). The tracks disappear off stage left to a sector plate which will happily swallow up the last two points (or so). Tracks wise, thats a 3 way there in the middle which could be taxing, but I'm picking if you can build working H's in this scale you can probably knock one of these puppies out before breakfast, then leave with your underwear outside your lycra to save people from burning buildings/collapsing bridges/forest fires/80's music....or am I thinking of International Rescue?

2 comments:

The Writer said...

I'd been considering the Incline as a project for a while but had given it up as it seemed impractical in the space I had and with the budget available. It would be very cool to see someone do something in this vein. I shall watch with interest

woodsworks said...

I'm stashing suitable parts away with a fully working 9mm:ft H-class in mind....probably have to wait until I retire before I get a chance to make it happen, though!