Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The weekend that was.

Well, the Trainz weekend just past was quite interesting. I managed to arrive late both days (the first due to traveling down from Hanmer that morning, and the second due to a visit with some old friends that consisted of opening more bottles of red wine.) as such I missed some/all of the early talks. A pity as these were probably the ones i wanted to hear more from. Of the ones that I did see, Barry Fitzgeralds discussion on Foliage for New Zealand was a stand out. It did run my old sanded pinex grass' into a cocked hat (and I'm now told that one can't buy Pinex any more).

Personally, the best part was getting to put some faces to names. To have someone sidle up to you and say 'hi, I'm Captain Carbon' normally only happens in comic books. Thankfully he didn't wear his underwear on the outside. Likewise to meet Dorian (thanks for the clever ideas on wagon tarps), Fred, Brendan and Mike (again) was good, and a few good discussions were had between talks. Catching up with other modelers was also good.

Shopping wise I escaped lightly, with just some Carrs 188C solder paint and some more universals for the Ew to replace the one I broke a while back.

The big thing I've come away with is a bit of revitalisation in my modeling, spurred on by looking at others building models (which doesn't happen that often here in Nelson). Apart from the trackmaking I have been struggling with doing other things. Hopefully I can get back into it in the next couple of weeks. I've even brought some more plasticard to make some new wagons.

As a final note, and in 'finger-shaky' mode, lets see some pictures of your models (and I'm talking to you Brendan!) up on NZ120.

No comments: