Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On motors

In the comments section a couple of days ago I mentioned the Atlas slow speed motor. The main problem is that theres no data on the damn things, apart from 'well, they are slower than the normal ones (which could mean anything up to warp factor 4 I guess), and 'they are grey'. However, in the course of fitting DCC chips to my da's a couple of weeks ago, I did have the presence of mind to actually measure the motor up.Now, while its not the same locomotive, I'm reasonably sure that the motor dimensions are pretty close to being the same.


The main body is 23.5mm long. The width is 9mm and the height is 13.5mm. The stepped down bit at one end is 9mm high, and the distance over the brush holders is 13mm. The flywheels are 10mm in diameter and 7mm long. There is a step back inside the flywheel to fit in the plastic hex nut for the drive train that is about 4mm deep. As the length over the flywheels is 43mm, an estimate of the shaft sticking out if a flywheel is removed is about 6mm.

Hunting around the site, theres several different versions that I can't tell the differences between. The std slow speed motor is pt No 498100 and is $23.75 USD.

The motor of the SD-7 pt No 540100 is $24.00. However the GP30 motor pt No 470000 is only $22.
'Oh, its the other way round...'

The flywheels can also be purchased separately as pt No 9450150 for only $2.25 USD.

Comparing the pictures, I'm sure that there are minor differences, but I can't see any major dimensional differences. However, I have been known to be wrong before, and I'm in the place where I usually am (ie at home).

If anyone else could add to the dimension knowledge that would be very handy.
As I've said, they would be idea for small S scale locos as well.

No comments: