Friday, October 22, 2010

The Quarterly review pt II

Well, I've been a bit sidetracked in the last week, but finally tonight I get on to review the Railfan.

The Cover features the new Dl class locos. Opinion I currently divided in the peanut gallery on the looks. Personally I think its a 'butterface ( as in 'nice body,....). The addition of the superhero mask around the windows is an interesting touch.

Right, onto the features. First up (after the sizable 'whats happening' section) is another photo essay, This time round its the Otira bankers (featured here last week). I must admit that these are still growing on me. They do make interesting reading. I wonder if Drew should do one on the 'milkies'?

The best one (for me anyway) is a collection of photos of mostly Ka's in the North island in the 1960's. This has 3 good pictures of the loco depot area at Paekakariki (maybe I need to contact the photographer for more info).

Last up is the ongoing series on New Zealand carriages. This has been going on for quite a while now (or it seems like it) and we are now up to 1884 stock, so there might be a few more issues to run yet. I find these interesting looking at the historic photos and what else is in the photos is often more interesting than the subject.

I've just noticed that there are only 3 feature articles, but this is more than made up for by the sizable amount of modern railway info present.

No comments: