Sunday, November 07, 2010

Pressies

Its always nice to find the wee box in the mailbox in the evening.
I had pre ordered this kit back when I didn't know what it was going to be (but did ask if it was going to fit into the 1960's time period). When it emerged that the subject was a Yd I was pleasantly surprised. These ballast wagons are quite possibly the oldest rolling stock still serving Kiwirail And can still be seen in sets of 3-4 wagons all over the place. They differ from all other ballast wagons locally in that as side tippers they can carry any old size bit of rock around which is probably why they have not faced the scrappers torch yet. And they look interesting as a wagon on the layout.

So, what does one get in the box?


The castings are all crisp (as we have come to expect from Trackgang). The instructions seem to suggest that it may have been one of Pats unreleased efforts? I'm just wondering if he had any thoughts on releasing the S scale electric locos that he did in TT. A few D/Dm sets would be nice....

Things of interest (well, for me) are the pin point bearings, which seem to be a different shape to the ones that I have (from Markits I think).
I'll be replacing the wheels as well, possibly with Badgerbits ones from here which are a bit narrower in the axle length department.
(As an aside, and before anyone asks, I've already checked about the bogie wheelbase, and they are 12.5mm, vs the 15mm that we would require for the 6' passenger bogies.

4 comments:

lalover said...

So Trackgang have a few surprises... :-)

Thast should run nicely with all those metal parts

Herbal Remedies said...

Health is always a great wealth for all. Why we will not achieve this? In this consideration everyone wants to have good health. Let us build our healthier life with controlled food habit, discipline, keep pace with work, rest and or exercise. While Health is the root of happiness let us build a happier life.

Best Regarding.
Herbal Remedies

Kiwibonds said...

Thanks Herbal Remedies,

Health is certainly a great wealth for us all, and I'm sure our readers will rush out to buy your excellent products because of your timely posting.

Your marketing strategies are absolutely brilliant - I don't know why more companies don't advertise on our blog!

I'm certainly going to suggest this to our Chief Marketing Officer.

Thanks!

Herb Balls said...

A few years ago I accidentally severed one of my legs while using a chainsaw to trim some styrene sheet (it was one of my less successful modelling projects).

I used Herbal Remedies to reattach my leg and within half an hour it was completely healed. In fact Herbal Remedies was a bit too effective; I grew 3 extra legs from the cut and I now have to coppice the surplus legs every few days.

Thanks Herbal Remedies!