Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Son of DFT in a Day... maybe

Well some things are happening, even if it is slower than a snails pace.

I've finally got around to mounting the DFT sideframes onto a Kato SD40-2 bogie, notice I said "a bogie", the other one still has it's original N scale HTC sideframes.
See the photos below for a comparison of NZ120 and N scale sideframes, it makes you wonder how we suffered with the "N scale bogies are near enough" theory for so long.

N Scale HTC sideframe

NZ120 DFT sideframe

Hmmm, I think I need Z scale couplers, and yes I know the cab area needs some remedial work, buts that's not what we are here to see now is it?

I have also done the preliminary CAD work for the mark II version, the plan here is to add the "rodding" between the axleboxes to the sideframe. This will hopefully allow more of the N scale sideframe to be removed and let the DFT sideframe sit a little closer to the wheels.

With any luck, one day soon, work related study may not take up so much time and things may even accelerate to a turtle's pace...

2 comments:

steve w. said...

looking very good - please make them available for others (even if it seems the demand isn't that big) I like !

cheers...
steve w.

Magikan said...

Don't worry Steve, the intention is to produce a few sets of the DFT sideframes at some stage and make them available to anyone who wants them.
I also have some other Rapid Prototype bits to spring on the world as well, but unfortunately modelling has to take a backseat for another few weeks yet.