Sunday, May 01, 2011

Big Game hunting

Well, after yesterdays part fiasco, today promised more with a Kiwirail open day. A detour into a garden cleanup (must investigate the cost of concreting) at least provided a way out. A visit to the refuse transfer station which just happens to be next to the Palmerston North station (the architect should be shot for crimes against humanity).

As I drove up, I spotted a full width cab. A moment of excitement until I realised that it was only a class 30. However...

There it was in all its clean paint glory.

Apparently it was towed down in the middle of last week and has since been the target of local railfans (with the response for photos being a phrase that starts with a word that rhymes with 'duck'). The only problem was that without a Hi-Vis vest there was no way I was getting only the other side of the tracks to get some other photos.


'I'd translate but I was away from school that day...'

Also present was a Silver Fern running trips to Feilding and back. From the demand they could have run a carriage train as well. I heard it was standing room only.
'Hi-Vis yellow is ugly isn't it'

I also had a chance to catch up with some other railfans on the platform (one who greeted my with the welcoming 'P*ss off, this is my patch'), which made me rather late home.....

Now minus a few brownie points for being away so long, I got to head back out to pick up some shopping for tea. This also allowed me to cruise down to the loco depot viewing spot, where I assumed that the rake of stock would have been moved. I had discovered that the locos were being moved after 3 O'clock, but again was too late. And to cap it all off they were down the other end of the depot.

'Its the one behind 30203, honest'

OK, so lets try a cruise to the other side of the line into Milson. A drive down some back streets (filled with railway houses, I must go back) gave me a bit better spot, but not by much, and to cap it all off, they were moving away from me, so must have come from a much better position.
Bugger again.

You can sort of make out the larger size compared to the DFT next to it though.

I also caught the Fern returning from Fielding.


So, not a bad day, just could have been better. A distinct lack of historical prototypes, and the diesels just don't really do it for me I'm sorry.

From The display side of things I heard that A few of the Kiwirail 'Big Cheeses' were present to see how it went, with a look towards doing more of them round the country. I think that there should be more trips put on for teh family groups. It seems that despite the change in power up the front, kids still think its fun to ride trains.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I was there that day also, I went on the fern to Feilding and back and got a ride back to the yards in DXB 5068, got plenty of photos and videos if you want to see them of the display and the DL. You local or have a facebook or youtube?.. cheers, Chris.