Saturday, July 09, 2011

Saturday morning

Just continuing the run of original titles.

In my brains Friday afternoons wanderings I've been thinking about layout sizes. More exactly the question is; 'What does everyone think that a good small layout size is?"

In my thinking, and in the process of working on a large layout my current thinking for a reasonable size layout would be about 4' by 1' for a 'first' layout (that would be 4' by 24' in S scale, or a 1/4 acre section in 9mm). I'm thinking in terms of a simple yard for shunting or just running some locos. I've been think about some simple plans but would like to see what everyone else's thoughts are/

As a short note, I ordered 2 cheapy DCC decoders from Southern Digital last weekend, and while the lady of the house has now spotted the bill, its only NZ$40 which is ridiculously cheap (just as a note they are the Digitrax DN-135 which is a base 2 function decoder). I don't think I could buy 1 decoder in this country for that price. Its just going to be a huge challenge to fit a decoder into a the Kato Mikado chassis under the Ed's.

4 comments:

sxytrain said...

$40NZ delivered? That works out really cheap.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Well, they have not been delivered yet (next week hopefully).
And the cost on the Visa statement is $41.50, so not quite that cheap :v)

Motorised Dandruff said...

Hmm, The bill is back and its $38.70 US, which is $47 or so NZ. Not quite as cheap but still right up there. I can't find anything else in teh same range locally, certainly in a small decoder.

sxytrain said...

Thats still reasonable. was quoted $33.90 each for DZ123 decoder at local hobby shop.