Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday morning.


That time of the week to laze round and have a relaxed breakfast.


Topics over a cuppa and pastries this morning would be

- Are armchair modelers getting even lazier?

probably not. However We/they tend to sketch ideas out on to paper with a nice sharp pencil. personally if I'm designing a layout I don't go near a computer, its all done in a book. I just can't get a computer to articulate on the screen what I'm thinking. That then limits me to putting stuff up as the scanner I own won't run on the new computer so I have to fire up the old one which is a complete PITA. Would it have been easier if people had a set entry format so that they could get on with designing without having to worry about the writing so much?

- What is the 'Right' size for an NZ120 layout?

Another interesting one. Clearly a boxfile isn't doing it, so where is the lower limit? And if people are not building layouts, Why not? Are they building anything at all? Is it a lack of time, energy or confidence?
Personally I would have thought that a small layout gives you a chance to build something that you might not build otherwise, and get to have a go at some scenery modeling. I still have the full scale track plan sitting there for a branchline station on a curve. It would be a pain in the butt to build with code 40 rail.

I'm surprised that no one had a crack at that great British idea, the loco refueling point. Ideal for those with way too many locos (which is most of us?).

Also for your consideration, here is a nice small British layout in 2mm finescale that I would hold up as possible start for ideas. A main line along the front with an industry behind, all in about 5' plus fiddle yards.
Go to the link to see more(as well as the photo credits). And remember that it is still only in 2mm scale.

There we go, more than enough dry matter for a good fiery debate. I'm now off to play in the ched, hopefully making more track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm doing a huge amount of rather awkward carpentry - I'm doing a large out and back - shelf style - track boards very between 250 and 400 width, like little modules, but they wrap and spiral around and over each other rather than just round the walls of a room, and rather than just loop and spiral around the same scenery going nowhere... it's quite technically challenging design wise... and build wise