Saturday, October 08, 2011

The delivery

An impromptu visit from Fetler d'Amateur and his family also brought gifts. Even reduced to a left hand hes still very useful (and we may expect more from him when he has 2 hands back).


The first parts for the turntable pit in 3mm acrylic sheet (he first attempt in plastic failed dismally). These were cleverly designed with a 3mm hole in each corner so that it was easier to line everything up. however I could not find a bit of 3mm brass rod. I also only had 1 3mm drill. Fortunately the 2 'good' files that I own had the right handle size.


Note the sleepers for the turntable track marked in position. I will make up a shaper to sculpt the sloping ground at the bottom of the pit. Acrylic is not the easiest material to glue together. However I did have some 5 year old glue from another project which says on the label that its thick acrylic cement. It was quite a bit gummier than I had remembered but seems to have done the job.

'In Position'

The pit is designed with a larger top so that I can let it into the module. It's the same thickness as the track base so I'll just be laying the track on top.

Putting it roughly into position has altered the order that I will be doing things. My initial plan was to position the pit and then lay the track up to it. I can see now that I will have to make the track first (with a 180mm straight piece in the correct spot)and then position the turntable and cut the track. Discussions have now turned to the turntable itself.


Powering the turntable will be one of the Switchmaster point motors that I've had for eons. its got a top speed of 4 RPM so will do a 1/2 rotation in about 7 seconds. this seems to be about right speed wise for me. lining up will be simplified as its a stall motor that will just run the turntable up to a block and stop.

Unfortunately I've run out of flux to solder the track up with, so it will have to wait till next week.

( Enquirys about avaliability are rather premature as theres still no ideas about the table mounting and if it will actually work like it says on the box. And speaking from personal experience, acrylic sheet really ain't cheap.)

1 comment:

Amateur Fettler said...

It really wasnt that hard....I only had to draw squares and circles....