Monday, October 24, 2011

excavation

To celebrate this long weekend, I have spent some time digging a space for the turntable pit. The first incision was made through the rubber layer to reveal the plywood underneath. I then resorted to the method of drilling a series of holes along the line that I wished to cut. I blame a lack of power tools more than anything else. The picture shows progress halted by the drills battery running out.

After removing the underlying plywood, we struck the next problem. The various bracing under the layout.

Fortunately with a smallish handsaw and some cunning I managed to remove enough of the offending articles to carry on.

'I don't think they were holding up anything important...'

With all this done, the turntable dropped into position nicely. It sits level with the top of the rubber so that it should be a doddle to lay the track up to the edge.


I have also not fixed it into place yet so that it is easy to sort out the rest of the rotatie bit.

2 comments:

Am_Fet said...

Sodding hell! It actually worked....well, at least its worked so far...

beaka said...

very clever work on the turntable design. i see an atlas turnout motor for N scale Atlas 7.5in turntable for sale on trademe at present for $5. not sure if it would be suitable for your table.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=417539607