Sunday, October 16, 2011

What lies beneath

After 3 hours yesterday, the layout looked like this.

'Well, I suppose its a bit tidier...'

Again, the change is all under the hood, so to speak. As we here at MD believe in showing the unvarnished truth to our readers, here is my wiring layout in all its horror.

'You can also get it in a tin from Watties'

The green wiring from the top is the control panel to the point frogs. The auto reversing module for the crossover frogs takes center stage. There are 2 connecting plugs to the next module on the left. One for the main line and one for the loco depot as they will be separate power districts. in retrospect I should have used different colour wiring for them. The brown wire is present as they didn't have any hookup wire in black when I went into Jaycar that weekend, so I had to make do. I've used tag strips to be able to isolate parts of the layout on the off chance that I need to track down a short. Chances of shorts vary from non existent when operating on ones own to close to 100% at an exhibition of when guests are due.

At the end of the 3 hours, the Da could run onto the shed tracks and both main lines. The next couple of jobs (in no particular order) are;
-Sort out the track heights at the module joins. something that would be OK in the larger scales is a big no-no in this one . 9mm modelers must have it easy.
-get the track positions for the back tracks on the depot sorted, so that I can then lay the track across the turntable area.
-think about doing some real modeling again. Its been an awful long time since I've made a model

3 comments:

sxytrain said...

Ah but this is modelling. Just one of those tasks that are not on your favourites list. Once done, and tracks are all live, and loco's roll up and down, you will have overcome the tedious task of creating an electric spaghetti bowl under the baseboards. BTW looks like the underside of my layout! Russ

woodsworks said...

The spiders are going to looooove building their webs in there - half their job is already done!

me said...

...Carbonara e una CocaCola ;-))

cheers...
steve w.