Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Fill er up.

Pottering in the Man-sion on the weekend I forced myself to make a start on at least doing some more scenic planning. I stuck with the loco depot area and more exactly the fueling points. Paekakariki in the 1960's had 2 separate oil storage tanks and a large coal stage on the south side of the engine shed. This all had to be compressed into a length of 350mm.

I figured out that the easiest thing was to divide the area in 1/2. This makes each 175mm which is about the same length as a Ka or Ja. Its much shorter than the real area, but will still give me the same feel I hope. I was worried that the fuel tanks would look too short (I know the coaling stage does, but I'll have to live with it) but a quick test using 2 30' guards vans as length proxies gave me about the right look. I'll also need to build a compressed air coaling crane and a couple of wagons being unloaded.

4 comments:

Kiwibonds said...

Trackwork looks amazing

Word verification: "deckmat"

What's up with that!

Motorised Dandruff said...

The trackwork even works occassionally :v)

Anonymous said...

Very fine scissors crossover, looks great. Makes those slide switches in the corner look enormous. Are they connected to the equally gigantic digitrax thing holding the back of the layout down? (I heard palmy can be windy)

Quentin

Motorised Dandruff said...

The Digitrax box at the back is going to be the booster unit running the loco depot. its waiting fro me to be bothered to sort out the bits under the layout to plug it in.