Saturday, December 24, 2011

Saturday morning

Well, with the festive season upon us, I have not had much of a chance to do any modeling this week. I've also been expending some energy in getting an old net book up and running. it works, but I'm having problems uploading a new operating system onto it. I'm sure I can sort it out, but its just taking time.

I guess its also the time for an end of year wrap up, so lets get some discussion going. What are your high points and low points (in modeling only please.). Bouquets and brickbats could get a bit too personal.

For me the high point(s) were.
-Getting my track making skills to a point where I can now make good looking track that seems to work well. Being able to demonstrate at shows that its not actually that hard to do.
-Getting back into the show scene, and catching up with friends old and new.
-Making some of the smallest NZ120 locos with some more in the planning stages.

low points were a bit harder and basically boil down to not progressing some projects along as well as I would have liked. Things that spring to mind are the Ew and Ka (both with none). I think this is down to the location of the Man-sion. At Chateau dandruff in Nelson 'Der room' was inside the house, and I could hold conversations with the lady of the house. Now I'm off out in the back blocks and its a bit harder to spend lots of time.

So, we throw the comments section open to the cheap seats. I'll even invite modelers from other scales to post (isn't that generous of me). Just keep it (reasonably) civil.

4 comments:

Southern Rails said...

Starting with the bad...
Still not knowing which era to model. I keep swinging between 1980's NZR, NZ Rail and Kiwi Rail.

And the good...
Building my first nz120 kit and making a start on my loco depot layout.

Hope everybody has a great Christmas and a great New Years.

Cheers

Mike

sxytrain said...

+ Another year, more developments in our scale.
+ Meeting up with some more of the nz120 modellers around the country.
- Not having the time to complete the do list for the year.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Russ

beaka said...

the bad first. putting off a start on building my interisland ferry for my Picton modular layout.(confidence in my skill level mostly).
getting less work done on my layout than expected this year.not for want of trying. work commitments and uncertainty over future income related to PSA in kiwifruit didn't help my focus.
the good...
getting part of my Picton yard track down and operational in DCC was great as i can play trains again and test rolling stock,locos,etc. video to come in new year.
making the decision to get to railex in Wellywood after a 4 yr break-meeting up with Herr Druff and other modellers was great and reignited the creative juices. my ribs were sore for days after trip from so much laughter during the journey. thanks Russ and team for making it such an eventful trip!

using my airbrush again after a 12yr hiatus.
almost completing my DA etch from Nick in 12 months. a new record after Kiwibonds diesel DF in a day took me over 12 months to complete. at this rate its going to be a while until i populate my loco fleet.
thanks everyone for your inputs and thoughts over 2011.teamwork makes the dreamwork!

Quentin said...

highlights:

Getting Lawrence Boul's exquisite 1:64 NZ Finescale Wb kit almost finished to the point of final detailing; and the compensated axles all work smoothly and it doesn't wobble along with a list. Bonus is it still looks clearly like a Wb rather than a shape glistening with solder.

Now building Lady Mordaunt and its complicated articulated construction proceeding fairlie well.

Lowlight:

Still searching for the roll of film and photos I took crawling over Josephine in Dundedin a while back. Somewhere in a stack of unlabelled boxes lies the holy grail..

Highlight this autumn is commencing the rebulding of the railway in its new room in Woodville.