Saturday, January 21, 2012

Book Review: Journey to the Pass

Am_Fet writes:

I mentioned this book back in my post about the mysterious "Raven Tea" wagon and lalover asked for more info. SO, here is the full un-expurgated review:

Journey to the Pass (Memories of the Midland Line)
Stephen and Matthew Wright
(Hilton Press, A4 card cover, 211 pages)


Normally I can take or leave social history, but I was immediately taken by this book when I first encountered TCO Fred Carter reading it one day while not much was moving on the CHCH-PCTN line. Sure, I was drawn to the photos (mostly B&W with a few in colour) but found that once I finally finangled it off Fred I was really taken with the stories contained within.

Father and Son team Stephen and Matthew Wright started the project as an oral history exercise with no intention of it becoming a book, but luckily they chose to publish. It is made up of interviews with eight people who had links with the "Midland Line" (now termed the coal route) and each person tells there own story with their own voice...It does suggest very little editing happened between drafts and final manuscript. Those interviewed range from railways staff from different areas (driver, guard, station master, etc) through to those who used the line (a gangers son, a girl who rode the school trains). Chapters on the history of the line and a photo gallery close out the contents.


As youd somehow expect, the two biggest chapters revolve around the old refreshment rooms (Doreen Dudley and Bid Elson) and engine driver Jim Dillon. All three have enthralling stories to tell about how it used to be living in Springfield.

The photos range from well known ones (John Cooke and John Brouwer feature) through to those not seen before from private collections. Reproduction is good with the photos very clear. My favourite has to be the shot of several workmen in the cage used to transport them via cable from one side of Staircase gully to the other...dont look down!


Those whose interests dont progress much further than locomotives and wagons will probably think nothing of avoiding this book, but theyd be doing themselves a great disservice to do so. As a modeller (loosly), I found enough operational detail in the book to keep me entertained and I must admit I polished it off in one sitting.

Final verdict? Highly recommended. At the very least search it out through the library system for a look.

No comments: