Thursday, January 12, 2012

Running in place

Well, after several hours in the Man-sion yesterday, there is no sign of progress short of the appearance of 2 small control panels on the last module. While this is the final instalation of the point throws on the layout, it doesn't seem like I'm getting anywhere on the surface which is the bit everyone sees. As part of the control panels I also installed the wiring for the point frogs, with the acompanying obligatory shorts. As an interesting aside, for some odd reason I seem to have run out of the black wire, while still having plenty of red. Common sense would suggest that I should have used equal amounts of both. Perhaps the extra black wire is off having fun with my missing socks?

I am also starting to look round and there are a few tidiying jobs to do before the meet next weekend and some vacuuming as well. By the silence I'm assuming I'll just be looking after the usual suspects....

Also, and I'm not sure if I have linked to it before, here is an extremely useful little table of scale rail sizes. Basically for us choosen scale modelers the 2 useful ones are code 55 which corresponds to 100 pound rail, and code 40 which corresponds to 75 pound. Code 70 at >160 pounds is too far out. At the other end of the scale code 30 (which can be got as strip) corresponds to 45 pound, which would work for early track work pre 1900 and later on remote branch lines. However its increased fiddlyness I think would push it beyond my meagre track making skills.

2 comments:

Quentin said...

we are silent because we are in awe at the effect of your Paekakariki in miniature. We S scalers now realise our folly, aware that for us to recreate Paekakariki in miniature we will have to reverse the usual practice and move living quarters into the garage as in S scale the house has the bigger space necessary...

Anonymous said...

Yay, pleased to have you on board at last, Quentin. You now see why we think S scale is only for pre-1890s NZR. Full length S scale trains of pre-1890 are shorter than post-1950 trains in NZ120.