Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rush job

With the impending stampede of modelers expected today, I was wondering what I could do to add throttles. The Digitrax Zephyr has the ability to use 2 DC controllers as extra throttles (which is one of the reasons that I brought it). The main problem that I had was getting 2 old DC throttles cheaply. However I came across a simple circuit on the net which has a handful of parts and runs off a 9V battery. So, it was off to Jaycar.


Looks easy doesn't it. Sorry I can't post a circuit diagram due to that whole copyright thingy.


After 20 minutes with the drill and soldering iron, here's the first one finished. Now to find out if it actually works.

UPDATE; well, it does work, but the bastards have sold me log pots instead of linear pots. For the non electrically minded of you, this means that the useful speed range is compressed into 2mm of rotary movement. So, technically fine, but functionally useless.

8 comments:

Amateur Fettler said...

I would have thought seeing it was already on the net you could either include it with a suitable acknowledgement or at the very least include a link to it??

The problem comes (in my opinion)when the person originally posting the material on the web isnt the owner of said material....such as people posting Cedric Green plans on their website.

Motorised Dandruff said...

I would publish the link, but you have to be a member of the Digitrax yahoo group to see it, so its all rather moot isn't it.

cabbage said...

had a little surf around RS have a nice 10 turn linear pot for $20
gives you super fine control

Anonymous said...

where is that simple circuit hiding ? in the Files, Photos or Links folder ? I am a member there but can't find it - DOH

cheers...
steve w.

Motorised Dandruff said...

Under the Zephyr folder. Last file (from memory)

Anonymous said...

found it, thanks...

steve w.

TBR said...

You Couldn't email me a Parts list and the Diagram could you?

Motorised Dandruff said...

I could if you e-mail me....