Monday, February 06, 2012

Pottering

Finally spent some time out in the Man-sion yesterday. The main task was to check the track work (again) to see that everything was as good as it could get. 1431 did the honours running through all the points to see where the problems were. One in particular presented grave problems. One of the bogies lifted itself vertically almost to the point of derailing before crashing back onto the track. Not overly suitable. Everything appeared to be in gauge and as a last resort I rolled the loco over and checked the wheel gauge. all 3 were too narrow. A quick expand with the fingernails and everything was fine again (my fingernails are an important part of the tool kit you know. I think I could probably use them to set a cars points)

So, all the track now works tolerably well. Its going to severely limit guests though as its vital that the wheels are in gauge, and anything that is not will be found out.

I also did a wee bit of testing to check that the Cb and the railtruck would go round 6' radius curves (the Cb had previously, but the railtruck was an unknown quantity). The answer was yes, but the railtruck then refused to climb anything but the most gentle of grades. Bang goes my plans for a loop on the bush tram layout, or even a climb up a creek valley.

On another track, who is planning to go to the convention, and what are you all planning to bring along? I still have yet to hear if they want the layout, or any track making seminars (and I'd even do one on blogging if there was any interest). I daresay that there will be a special interest group meeting, but buggered if I know what we could discuss.

17 comments:

beaka said...

just wondering if you could fit a set of wheels with traction tyres, or apply some "bullfrog snot" to wheel rims. i hear its very good as a replacement for traction tyres, so you might get away with a thin smear on rims.i guess the problem then will be power pickup!!duh!
ROUNDI- model railroader slang for beginners layout on 8 x 4

Anonymous said...

If there's nothing to discuss, we'll just have to do modelling - and the discussion and questions will spontaneously arise. This blog has always focused on "showing the doing" rather than talking about "what might be if one ever got around to modeling".

Spent uranium should work well as ballast and improve adhesion (I imagine a chemist Druff knows should be able to get some easily).

0-4-4-0T

Motorised Dandruff said...

Putting my work hat on, Uranium is well down the list of density at 19.1 g/cm3. The best is Osmium and Iridium at 22.6, then Platiunum at 21.4. A couple of rare earths come next and then its Platinum and Tungsden at 19.3. Lead for comparison is only 11.4.

The only real problem with these is either cost or toxicity.

Kiwibonds said...

I have a pentium if that would be of help

Am_Fet said...

Thats only 5 of those thingys he was talking about...

Motorised Dandruff said...

Thanks for the offer but I already have a soldering iron....

Cabbage said...

I could get my hands on a few litres of mercury

Cabbage said...

As for the convention... I have been saying I want to take a finished Roger's K.... that has now been down graded to a rolling chassis for the Roger's... and that may even be a bit ambitious
If I could put some wires on the last section of fence we (me and MG) could enter Kai Iwi as a scene

Motorised Dandruff said...

Mercury is sod all use, it will run out when I turn everything upside down.

Bullfrog snot might be an option, but I'm reasonably sure that its not conductive as well.

beaka said...

i have just had another thought.(somebody please put him out of his misery)what about a small rare earth magnet in the back or somewhere. abit of trial and error with distance to the track may result in just enough pressure on wheels to enable some grip up slopes.BTW, I haven't a clue if this will work.
OUT SOED U - WHAT USUALLY HAPPENS IF YOU DRINK TOO MUCH AT LOCAL CLUBS OR BARS-yeah right!

Motorised Dandruff said...

The scientist in me has just determined empirically that nickel silver track is non ferous and so is not magnetic. nice try though :v)

Am_Fet said...

I know! Lets call it "Magnehesion" and market it back to Triang! Doh!!

Kiwibonds said...

Take a leaf out of the boy racer handbook and put a spoiler on the back for more downforce and traction

Anonymous said...

You could go prototypical and run your line in sections with different stock for the hilly bit.

Kev

Motorised Dandruff said...

"Take a leaf out of the boy racer handbook and put a spoiler on the back for more downforce and traction."

but that won't score me many prototype points will it?

Kev, the layout is planned to be 'air-prtable' so won't have the space for 2 sections. plus i would have to do some shunting which may not work with these models. I was planning just to let the traisn run. Something along the lines of Kai-iwi

0-4-4-0T said...

Replacing the DCC chip with Osmium or Platinum bars (better use of space) should do the trick then. They will be heavier than Silicon and if you can afford DCC then clearly money is no object.

Motorised Dandruff said...

I'd hardly equate DCC with platinum and osmium with the cost of DCC. assuming an approximate volume for a DCC chip of 1 cubic centermeter, then the cost of an osmium chunk would be $316 (todays prices) and for platimum a wopping $1121, both of which are substantially north of my entire DCC systems cost....:v)