Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hills up

Dragging myself away from the workbench tonight, I managed to get another panel done on the layout. This one was a bit more challenging. The seaside hill at Paekakariki is an odd shape, being cut off square by the railway. I've had a go at it....

I'm sort of happy with the shape at this end, which is a bit less square close up. The other end is a bit more of a struggle to get right, and I'll have to shape the hill behind it first to see how the shape ends up.

The view of the loco depot is OK I think.

I may have to make some changes to suit the camera happy photographers as well.

Now I have to start on the backside of the layout, which will be a bit more of a challenge as I am not getting any thinner.

1 comment:

0-4-4-0T said...

The hill immediately west of the loco depot has been trimmed back by a cutting to make room for the railway. The top has been cut off to create a level platform for a house and its garden (one of my in-laws lives in the house). To its south the hill slopes down until it reaches the level of the rail yard; to its north, it descends only a little to begin with as the ridge continues northwards, moving slightly away from the railway.

I think the hill is an unusually large sand dune but would need to confirm that next time I visit my brother-in-law.