Saturday, February 02, 2013

Saturday Morning

Haven't done one of these for a while. The unseasonably (unPalmerstony?) weather has meant that not much time has been spent in the shed, or indeed thinking about railways much at all.

One thing that has come across the desk (well through the mail box, though its a good question how much longer that will happen) is the trackmaking tome from the 2mm society.

 Its well illustrated all the way through its 138 page.I only tend to read it in small bursts as there is a lot of information to digest, and it is scary. Its shown me that despite me building 35 odd points, there is still a lot I need to learn. I would recommend it only if you were very very keen to make your own track to finescale standards. Having said that, I'm glad I did pick it up. I can use it to frighten small modelers with late night horror story's round the soldering iron.

Must get out into the shed at some point this week, but the electrics beckon, which enthuses me about as much as trotting up to a dentist and saying 'I'd like a root canal please, possibly 2'.


6 comments:

Cabbage said...

Found this site some time ago
but check out the crazy!!! trackwork

http://www.bronx-terminal.com/?p=5

Anonymous said...

If you want to minimise electronics, Cabbage has a neat little circuit involving just 4 components: a voltage regulator, one small potentiometer and a couple of resisters. I've seen it used to run a whole layout.

Motorised Dandruff said...

As have I. Unfortunately my megolomania will never allow for just one loco running at once....

NZFinescale said...

Closer to home than the Bronx terminal, how about the Bluff wharf (in the Dec Railfan I think)? MD could use something to more completely fill his evenings.

Anonymous said...

The Wellington Station throat is pretty interesting from a scratch-building track point of view - and not do-able with commercially made track.

Motorised Dandruff said...

To Mr finescale, my evenings are fine thanks. And I have plenty of 1/2 finished (should that be 1/2 started?) projects to fill my evenings.

Wellington station would be a bridge to far unless you could convince a group of people that it was a good idea, then chained them up in a basement with a few km of code 55 rail to do it.
Woodworks might do well out of the order for bits though :v)